Simple IP migration for legacy transmission systems
The Network Transition Unit (NTU) is a simple and cost-effective solution for operators to add new Ethernet traffic capability to an existing TDM microwave radio or leased-line network.
The NTU multiplexes native Ethernet data with native TDM traffic to and from existing platforms that have legacy OC3, DS3 and DS1 interfaces.
By leveraging installed equipment, network operators can now deliver service requirements for Ethernet data alongside legacy TDM traffic. With IEEE 802.3 standard compliant Ethernet ports and standards-based OC3, DS3 and DS1 ports facing the customer, the NTU can be operational with little disruption to service.
Once in place, the NTU provides a smooth migration path to turn into a high-speed IP microwave link, supporting advanced features such as XPIC and Adaptive Modulation, by replacing the legacy TDM radio with a new compatible indoor- or outdoor-mounted RF unit.
Operators can start with simple Ethernet overlay to their TDM links and then gradually migrate to all-IP or mixed-mode transport, all at their own pace.
- Reuse existing legacy TDM platforms to transport Ethernet data packets at minimized CAPEX
- IEEE 802.3 standard compliant Fast and Gigabit Ethernet ports for quick installation
- User interfaces OC3, DS3 and DS1 are standards-based
- Carrier Ethernet enhanced Layer 2 capabilities
- Radio-ready to turn into a microwave link
- PC-based configuration and diagnostics tool
- ProVision or NetBoss network element manager options
- Certified to Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) 9 and 14
- WAN (legacy transmission system) interface options:
- NxDS1 (1.544 Mbit/s)
- NxDS3 (45 Mbit/s)
- NxOC3 (155 Mbit/s)
- User traffic interface options:
- 1 to 16xDS1 (1.544 Mbit/s)
- 1 to 2xDS3 (45 Mbit/s)
- 1 to 4xFast Ethernet or Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000baseT)
- Capacity throughput: 6 to 165 Mbit/s